Monday, July 23, 2012

Marien Goes Prehistoric on this Assignment!

Limestone composite rock, marigold flowers, mud, slate etchings, on concrete. This is a "cave painting" of the deer that can be seen grazing along the railroad tracks in my neighborhood. Although I live almost in the center of Charlottesville, deer actually travel into town upon the tracks, and can be seen in small herds late at night alongside them. I utilized a sharp slice of slate to etch the outlines, filling in the silhouettes with either the white lime composite stone or brown mud ground in with marigolds. In keeping with other cave paintings, such as the ones found at Lascaux, I attempted to make the animals as naturalistic as possible, while rendering the railroad tracks as basic, and almost as abstract, as possible. I found all these materials in my backyard.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the subject in this cave painting. I could see this scene being in a real cave centuries ago.

    ReplyDelete